top of page

Our Lady of Beauraing

150 Beauraing 2634516_orig_edited.jpg

This statue was sculpted in October 1945. Its appearance was based on the descriptions of the five children seers. The statue is placed on a base whose height respects that of the apparitions.

The five Beauraing seers (from left to right): Fernande Voison, Andrée Degeimbre, Gilberte Voison, Albert Voison, and Gilberte Degeimbre. 

Short & Long Versions

This apparition story is presented in two ways: 

  • Summarized version

  • Full story that reveals what occurred from November 29, 1932 to January 3, 1933. This is lengthy and may be easier to read on a computer screen. A primary source for this account is a 1955 pamphlet “I Will Convert Sinners - Our Lady's Apparitions at Beauraing," 1932-1933, by Don Sharkey. 


The Marian apparitions at Beauraing (an old French name that meant "Beautiful Branch" in Belgium, took place between November 29, 1932, and January 3, 1933. The apparitions involved a series of encounters between a group of five children and the Virgin Mary. The messages conveyed during these apparitions emphasized prayer, penance, and the importance of faith.

Mary was dressed in a long white dress with a faint blue hue. Her head was covered with a long veil that fell down to her shoulders. Thin rays of light emitted from the top of her head which gave the impression of a crown. Usually, Mary’s hands were joined together and she was smiling.

The apparitions began on November 29, 1932, when the Virgin Mary appeared to Fernande Voisin and her siblings, Albert and Gilberte, and her cousins Andrée and Gilberte Degeimbre. The children reported that she spoke with gentle compassion, conveying a sense of maternal love and concern for the well-being of humanity.

One of the distinctive aspects of the Our Lady of Beauraing apparitions was the frequency of the encounters. The Virgin Mary appeared 33 times between November 1932 and January 1933. These consistent visitations created a sense of anticipation and heightened spiritual awareness in Belgium and the larger region.

During the apparitions, the Virgin Mary urged the children to pray continuously, emphasizing the transformative power of prayer in individual lives and the world at large. She also stressed the importance of penance and the need for conversion, inviting believers to reexamine and strengthen their relationship with God.

The apparitions unfolded against the backdrop of a world emerging from the challenges of the early 20th century, marked by the aftermath of World War I and the Great Depression. In this context, the messages of Our Lady of Beauraing offered a beacon of hope and a call to spiritual renewal.

The Virgin Mary identified herself as the "Immaculate Virgin." This title underscored her sinlessness and purity, aligning with the Catholic doctrine of the Immaculate Conception.

A notable aspect of the Beauraing apparitions was the simplicity and humility of the seers, who were children from ordinary families. The innocence of these young visionaries added authenticity to the events and resonated with believers who saw in them a reflection of the childlike trust and openness to divine messages.

The Virgin Mary expressed a desire for a chapel to be built on the site. The Sanctuary of Beauraing was later established, becoming a place of pilgrimage and prayer for those seeking solace, healing, and spiritual guidance. Pilgrims from around the world visit the sanctuary to offer prayers and experience the sense of divine presence associated with Our Lady of Beauraing.

The Catholic Church officially recognized the authenticity of the apparitions in 1949, acknowledging the messages delivered during those sacred encounters. 


Beauraing is a town of about 2,000 people in the Walloon, or French speaking, part of Belgium. It is 12 miles from the city of Dinant and five miles from the French border. At one time the inhabitants of the area had been staunch Catholics, but by 1932 many of them had drifted away from the Church. Some were merely indifferent toward the Catholic faith; others were hostile to it. The Socialists, who made no secret of their opposition to the Church, carried the district in most elections.

Tuesday, November 29, 1932

Gilberte Voisin, a 13-year old girl of Beauraing, attended a school taught by the Sisters of the Christian Doctrine at their convent. Her father, an official at the local railway station, allowed her to attend this school despite the fact that neither he nor his wife went to church. Gilberte, a very religious girl, had long been praying that her parents would return to the Church.


At around 6:30 p.m. on November 29, Fernande, age 15, and Albert Voisin, 11, started toward the school to escort Gilberte home. They were joined by Andrée Degeimbre, 14, and her sister, Gilberte, 9, whose house was adjacent to the convent. Albert was the only boy among the five. [As there are two children named Gilberte in this story. It will simplify matters to call one of them Gilberte V. and the other Gilberte D.]


Albert and Gilberte D. amused themselves by ringing the doorbells of the houses they passed. After a short walk on the Rue de l’Élan, they came to the school. Just past the convent, the street was crossed by a railroad viaduct. The convent and grounds were bordered by a fence. Just inside the fence was a garden that housed a grotto in honor of Our Lady of Lourdes. 

The children went to the convent front door and rang the bell. Albert had turned to look at the convent yard while they waited for Gilberte V. to come out. "Look!" Albert pointed. "The Blessed Virgin is walking on that bridge!" The other children thought he was joking and refused to look. But he remained serious and didn't look away from the sight. After a few moments, the girls turned and beheld the figure of a Lady, dressed in a long robe of pure white bearing a royal blue sash. Gilberte V. came out and upon seeing it simply said, "Oh!" 


The woman was moving through the air above the Lourdes grotto and the train bridge. It was as if she was walking. Covering the Virgin's hair shone a diadem seemingly fashioned from golden roses. 

Partly out of amazement and out of fear, the children turned and pounded on the door to alert the nuns of this vision. Sister Valeria answer the door and was annoyed at the incessant pounding. Gilberte V. pointed in the direction of the Virgin Mary, but the nun could not see anything. Thinking that the children were referring to the grotto statue of Mary, she said "A statue can't move on it's own. Hurry home, you silly children."

Sister Valeria closed the door on the children. She went directly to her superior, Mother Theophile, to share what the children claimed to see. The superior was dismissive. 

Though initially gripped by astonishment and some apprehension, a sense of peace soon enveloped the children in this vision's soothing presence. After some moments, the remarkable maidenly figure receded silently before withdrawing into the night sky.

The children ran home to tell what they had seen. Like the nun, their parents did not believe them.

Wednesday, November 30

The next night the four children again walked to the school to meet Gilberte V. Once more all five beheld the figure in white walking back and forth on the railroad embankment. The children ran into Madame Degeimbre's house shouting: "We've seen her! It is the Blessed Virgin, and she is much more beautiful than any of her statues!" Madame Degeimbre was furious. She told her children that they must not go to the convent again.

Thursday, December 1

Madame Degeimbre, who was a widow, decided she would expose the people who were tricking her children. Armed with a stick, she accompanied the four children to the school to get Gilberte V. Scarcely had they reached the garden when the children saw the Lady.


She was near the Lourdes grotto this time in the garden. She was dressed entirely in white and there were golden rays like a diadem around her head. She appeared to be standing on a cloud. Her feet were not visible. She extended her arms slowly and then disappeared.


Madame Degeimbre, who could see nothing, sent the four children to get Gilberte V. Then, with her stick, she thrashed about in the bushes for the person who was playing tricks. As soon as the children returned from the convent, the vision reappeared as glorious as ever. A few moments later, as the children left the convent yard, the vision was visible at the gate. This time the Lady appeared near the lowest branch of a hawthorn tree, just inside the garden fence. This was the location she appeared for all the remaining apparitions.


Gilberte D., the youngest of the five children was overcome with emotion. She had to be taken home and Gilberte V. stayed with her. The other three children returned to the convent, and they beheld the vision for the fourth time that evening.


Madame Degeimbre was so struck by the effect of the apparition on the children that she began to waver in her doubt, but it was not until before the last apparition that she completely believed her children. Monsieur Voisin searched the ground with a torch, but could find no sign of fraud. The parents went to the parish priest, Abbe Lambert. He advised them to discuss the matter with no one. It was difficult to heed this advice, because it seemed like everyone was asking about the apparition.

Friday, December 2

Mother Theophile, superior of the convent, told the children not to speak again of the apparitions. She also told them to stay out of the convent garden. That evening the children's mothers asked them to go to the convent to meet Gilberte V. They could not disobey their mothers. So, they found themselves in the garden once more. Again, they saw the vision, this time even more clearly than before.

The Lady looked young, about 18 or 20. Her smile lit up all her features. Her eyes were a beautiful deep blue. She wore a long, white, heavily pleated unbelted dress. The children said that three rays of blue azure draped the dress, obliquely, from the left shoulder to the hem. 


Albert asked, "Are you the Immaculate Virgin?" The Lady smiled and nodded her head. 

“What do you want?" Albert asked.


Then came the first words uttered by Our Lady at Beauraing: "Always be good." 


Our Lady's hands had been joined as if in prayer. Before she left she opened up her arms as if giving the children a farewell embrace. Then she disappeared.


Abbe Lambert thought the message sounded like something the children had thought up. He could not bring himself to believe that the Blessed Virgin would make such a trite remark as: "Always be good." Mother Theophile ordered the gates of the garden locked at dusk, and she put two fierce dogs inside.

Saturday, December 3

In obedience to the Superior, the children stayed away from the garden. They were sad because they would not see their Lady that day. At dusk, when Mother Theophile went out to lock the garden gate, she found a crowd of 150 standing in the street.


"You are wasting your time here," Mother Theophile said. "There is nothing to see."

Sunday, December 4

Mother Theophile relented. She said that because the children “had obeyed her they could again come to the garden." The children arrived in the garden at 7 p.m. accompanied by a 10-year-old girl named Pauline Dereppe who was inflicted for three years by a debilitating bone disease. Also with them was the 30-year-old uncle of the Degeimbre girls who had lost his sight. The Virgin appeared soon after they arrived. 

The Virgin appeared to smile at the request when Albert asked if she would heal the girl and man. 

Monday, December 5

The crowds were growing larger each evening. They would mingle with the children and witness their rapture even if they themselves could not see the vision. Each time Our Lady appeared, the children felt themselves drawn to a kneeling position, almost as if they were thrown to their knees.


On this occasion, Albert again spoke to Our Lady asking for her to provide signs and healing for the many people who were giving their requests to the children seers. Like the previous night, the Virgin did not respond. But she did request the children to come and pray to her in the evenings.  

Tuesday, December 6

It was the Feast of St. Nicholas. Our Lady appeared immediately to the children. It was the first time she appeared holding a Rosary. Albert announced this to the pilgrims. From this day forward, the children would pray at least part, if not all, of the Rosary each day at the garden. 

During this apparition, the Lady asked the children to return on December 8th, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. When the news of her request was shared with the crowd, the people grew excited thinking that spectacular events and miracles might take place on Our Lady's feast day. 

Thursday, December 8

An estimated 15,000 people came from all over the region to witness the apparition. The children arrived at 6:10 p.m. They were escorted by their parents and were accompanied by a number of doctors and psychologists.


The children beheld the vision as soon as they reached the gate. During the apparition that lasted about 15 minutes, each child was examined in turn by different doctors. The five children all were found to be in a state of complete ecstasy. Dr. Lurquin, of Houyet, held a lit match under Gilberte V.'s left hand for several minutes. She did not notice it. Other doctors pinched, slapped, and pricked the five children. They shined bright flashlights into their eyes. There was no reaction.


All this time, the huge crowd was saying the Rosary. As soon as they completed the last decade, Our Lady disappeared. "She is gone!" cried the children. They had tears in their eyes. Dr. Maistriaux asked ​Gilberte D. why she wept. "Because she is so beautiful," Gilberte answered.


The doctors examined Gilberte V.'s hand and could not find the slightest trace of burning. When they had completed their examination, the girl said to her father: "Just think of it! They tried to tell me that they had pricked and burned me!"

Later, Fernande said: "I could see nothing, neither fence, nor tree, nor crowd: only the Holy Virgin who smiled at us."


This day was not the spectacular event the public had expected. Many overlooked or were unaware that what made this day spectacular was the ecstasy experienced by the children. It marked the first time it occurred for the Beauraing seers. 


Saturday, December 17

Our Lady asked for a chapel to be built. The children said she requested the chapel "in order that people might come here on pilgrimages.”

Wednesday, December 21

While the children were praying the Rosary, they immediately stopped upon the appearance of Our Lady. They requested of her: "Tell us who you are." She responded as she had before: "I am the Immaculate Virgin." 

Sunday, December 25

Mother Theopile continued to consider the possibility that the apparition was not the Virgin, but the devil. In response, she tied a St. Benedict medal to the hawthorn tree, adjacent to the Virgin's appearances. St. Benedict is considered one of the devil's greatest adversaries. Our Lady did not appear again until the 27th, which certainly would have added to Mother Theopile's suspicion into the apparition's authenticity during that time. 

Tuesday, December 27

In Our Lady's appearance on this day, she said, "Soon I shall appear for the last time."

Hearing this, it energized people to make the trip to Beauraing while they had the chance. Even more people  flocked to Beauraing to witness the apparition and make their personal requests of Our Lady, many of whom arrived on stretchers and crutches seeking miraculous cures. 


Thursday, December 29

About 8,000 people crowded into the streets and convent hoping for the Blessed Virgin's appearance. 


Toward the end of that evening's apparition, before the Virgin departed, she revealed her golden heart to Fernande. The 15-year-old girl caught a glimpse of the heart and powerful light emitting from it.


Later, as was customary now after every apparition, the children were interviewed separately. It was then that it became known that only Fernande received this gift of seeing the Blessed Virgin's heart. Fernande fretted that no one would believe only she saw it. 


Friday, December 30

In this apparition, the Virgin Mary showed her golden heart to Fernande, Andrée and Gilberte V. But only Fernande heard Our Lady's message: "Pray. Pray very much."


Saturday, December 31

Mary revealed her golden heart to all the children this time. The Mother of God had her hands positioned over her heart during the apparition. As she prepared to go, she opened her hands to reveal her glowing golden heart.  

Sunday, January 1, 1933

During the apparition, Mother Mary said to Gilberte V., "Pray always." 


Monday, January 2

The Virgin Mary tells Fernande, "Tomorrow I will speak to each one of you separately." The children sensed that the apparitions would conclude the next day. 

Tuesday, January 3

A great crowd numbering between 30,000 to 35,000 were present for the last appearance. Within minutes of the arrival of the young seers, four of them shouted with joy, dropped to their knees and said the "Hail Mary" prayer in loud voices. Fernande stood for a few seconds, then kneeled as well. Tears ran down her cheeks as she searched in vain to see the Virgin. Unlike her peers, she did not see or hear Mother Mary. 


Our Lady spoke to each child separately.


To Andrée, she said, "I am the Mother of God, the Queen of Heaven. Pray Always. Goodbye."


To Gilberte V., Our Lady gave a private message and told her never to reveal it. Then, the Virgin added, "I will convert sinners. Goodbye."


To Albert and Gilberte D, she gave each of them private messages as well, which were never to be shared with anyone. Then, she said, "Goodbye."

When the vision concluded for the four children, Fernande was grief stricken at not seeing Our Lady. Fernande remained kneeling. Suddenly, she heard a crashing noise, and she saw a great ball of fire on the tree. Then the Blessed Virgin revealed herself to the girl.


"Do you love my Son?" Our Lady asked. "Yes," Fernande answered. "Do you love me?" "Yes." "Then, sacrifice yourself for me." Our Lady extended her arms in the usual farewell gesture. And, as she did so, she shone more brightly than ever. She allowed Fernande to see her golden heart one final time. Then, she said: "Goodbye."


The story of the apparitions caused a sensation all over Europe. Some authorities said the children were frauds. Others said they were victims of hallucinations. In 1934 and 1935, a number of books and magazine articles were written for the purpose of "exposing" Beauraing.


Through all this, the great majority of the people and the clergy believed the story of the children. Many pilgrimages were made to the site of apparitions. Gradually, doubt and skepticism disappeared as the facts of the story became known and as the results were observed.


The children remained in Beauraing and led lives as close to normal as was possible. They visited the hawthorn tree each day to say the Rosary. Often they were besieged by pilgrims, by curiosity seekers, and by those who had come to scoff. They bore such ordeals with patience.


After the Bishop set up an Episcopal Commission to investigate the events, the children underwent long and severe examinations. They once had to appear before a "tribunal" of 90 doctors. In the course of the investigation, the children never varied their stories and they never contradicted each other when interviewed separately.


More than two million pilgrims came to Beauraing within the first year of the apparitions. 


Miraculous Cures

Many cures were reported by pilgrims.


On February 15, 1933, the 10-year-old girl, Paulette Dereppe, who Albert had asked Our Lady to heal at the December 4th apparition and at subsequent apparitions, was miraculously healed of her disabling bone infection. 

On June 24, 1933, Maria Van Laer was taken by stretcher to lie under the hawthorn tree in the convent. She had been a helpless invalid for 16 of her 33 years. Van Laer had a tubercular condition, her spinal column was deformed, one of her legs was diseased, and she had large tumors that had developed into open sores. The doctors said that an operation would be fatal, and they held out no hope for her recovery.


After praying for healing under the tree, she was carried to the Degeimbre home and met with Gilberte D. and her mother. The Degeimbre's urged Van Laer to return to the hawthorn one more time before departing. During that second visit to the hawthorn tree, Van Laer said she felt a jolt in her body.


She slept in the ambulance on the way home. When she reached Turnhout at midnight, she awoke and found herself cured. No pains, no tumors, no sores, and no deformities!


The news of her miraculous healing spread quickly and boosted the number of pilgrims traveling to Beauraing. Later, Van Laer joined the Franciscan Sisters of the Holy Family where she took the name Sister Pudentia, and became a nurse.


Van Laer's cure was one of those investigated by the Episcopal Commission that the Bishop appointed to investigate the events at Beauraing. In 1949, Bishop Charue declared the cure to be an authentic miracle.



Perhaps more important than the physical cures were the spiritual ones. Among the earliest of the converts were the parents of the Voisin children; they returned to the sacraments after an absence of many years.


One of the most famous of the conversion stories was that of a young man who gave up his faith and became a Communist. He was editor of the Belgian Communist newspaper, "Le Drapeau Rouge" (The Red Flag). During the war, he was arrested by the Germans, and since the Nazis had little use for the Communists, his life was in grave danger.


His mother had never ceased to pray that he would come back to the Church. After he was arrested, she knelt in front of a statue of the Blessed Mother and prayed: "I was never able to do much with him. I do not ask you, good Mother, to see him alive, but please give him the grace to die in the Church. I give you my son. Do with him as you see fit!"


In prison, the young man remembered the Blessed Virgin and promised to return to the faith if he were liberated. He was freed, but he did not keep his promise. He was imprisoned again and freed again. Still he did not return to the faith.


In September, 1945, the young man was haunted by the thought that he should visit Beauraing. He tried to banish the thought, but he could not do so. He gave in and went to Beauraing, although he did not have the least bit of faith. He stood in the enclosure, facing the hawthorn, unable to pray. Suddenly, he was thrown to the ground.


"I was trying to protect myself from the fall," he said, "and I fell, hanging onto the back of the last bench. For a long time I saw nothing but the figure of Our Lady in the hawthorn. A complete transformation was produced in me. I cried over my past life. But I also cried for joy, conscious that something new had entered my soul." 


Many other conversions have been reported among people from many different countries These conversions are called "The Great Invisible Treasure of Beauraing." They recall Our Lady's promise: "I will convert sinners."


Church Approval 

In 1935, the Bishop of Namur, the diocese in which Beauraing is located, appointed an Episcopal Commission to investigate the events. The Bishop died, and the investigation continued under his successor, Bishop Andre-Marie Charue.

Bishop Charue received from Rome a decree dated December 7, 1942, and approved by Pope Pius XII, which granted him complete liberty to proceed toward canonical recognition. On February 2, 1943, the Bishop published a decree which authorized public devotions to "Our Lady of Beauraing." This was during the dark days when the Germans were occupying Belgium, and the people took great comfort from the development.  


On May 16 of the same year, Bishop Charue solemnly inaugurated this devotion at a great ceremony attended by 24,000 people. This was a large crowd for war days. The Bishop blessed a large statue of Our Lady of Beauraing on August 22, 1946, the Feast of the Immaculate Heart. The statue stands under the hawthorn tree, where Our Lady had appeared.


Pilgrimages of Penance

Pope Pius XII granted a private interview to the Bishop of Namur on July 18, 1947. He gave his blessing to the Sanctuary and the pilgrimages of penance. These pilgrimages are held on the second and third Sundays of each month, from May to November. The pilgrims walk 12 miles to Beauraing, praying as they go.


The cornerstone of the chapel was laid on the Feast of the Immaculate Heart in 1947, and the chapel was consecrated August 21, 1954. This is the chapel which Our Lady requested. It is near the place of the apparitions, and with its confessionals, gives Our Lady the opportunity to convert souls.


The hawthorn tree is surrounded by bronze railings which serve as a gigantic votive candle stand. Beneath the tree is the statue of Our Lady of Beauraing, the Virgin with a Golden Heart. An open air altar stands on the spot where a replica of the Lourdes grotto originally stood.

Final Approbation

On July 2, 1949, the Bishop released two important documents relating to Beauraing. One was an episcopal decree recognizing as authentic miracles two of the many cures credited to Our Lady of Beauraing. One was the cure of Miss Van Laer. The other was the cure of Mrs. Acar who was cured of a tumor of the womb on July 30, 1933.


The other document of July 2, 1949 was a letter from the Bishop to the clergy of his diocese. The Bishop said: "We are able in all serenity and prudence to affirm that the Queen of Heaven appeared to the children of Beauraing during the winter of 1932-33 especially to show us in her maternal Heart the anxious appeal for prayer and the promise of her powerful mediation for the conversion of sinners.”

AFTERMATH: The 5 Children Seers

Andrée Degeimbre, was born April 19, 1918 and married Georges van den Steen from Haltert (Flanders) in 1941. Andrée had three children: Christian, Yvan, and Marie-Ange. She died on June 11, 1978. She was the first of the five seers to die. She was known for her strong faith, her common sense, the frankness of speech, and unfailing loyalty. For more than 40 years she recited the Rosary every day at 6.30 pm in front of the hawthorn tree, even in the snow.

Her routine was only interrupted by her husband’s illness, from September 1974 until April 1975, then later on by her own illness. She recited the Rosary for the last time on November 29, 1977 on the occasion of the 45th anniversary of the first apparition. 

Fernande Voisin was born on June 21, 1917 and in 1941 married Albert Despas from Bure, who worked at the local tax office. Fernande was a nurse who made home visits. In 1954 they moved to Namur where she died on May 9, 1979 from a long illness (cancer of the kidneys).

She had five children: Rose-Marie, Michel, Emmanuel, Noel, and Marie-Françoise. According to a witness, she was the most self-effacing of the seers. She led a generous life. It was to her that Our Lady asked at the last apparition: “Do you love my Son?”

Gilberte Voisin, was born on June 20 1919. She was a kindergarten teacher and in 1945 married Amédée Pierret, a police officer from Sainte-Marie. He was killed while on active duty in April 1953 leaving two children: Michel and Bernadette. Gilberte returned to Beauraing where she later died in an accident on January 3, 2003, the 70th anniversary of the last apparition at the very hour that Mary promised her: “I will convert sinners."

Albert Voisin, was born on September 3, 1921 and studied with the Brothers in Carlsberg. He spent his military duty in Ireland and Germany. He was a teacher in Ottignies for two years and then in 1948 married office worker Yvonne Embrechts from Liège.

That same year, they left for the Belgian Congo, first to Lubumbashi followed by Kowézi where their three children were born: Claude, Francine, and Bridget. The family returned to Beauraing in 1961 where Albert taught at the “Institut Notre Dame” which was founded in 1949 upon the initiative of Dean Lafontaine and run by the “Frères des Écoles Chrétiennes” (Brothers of Christian Schools). He died after a long illness on December 23, 2003.

Gilberte Degeimbre, was born on August 13, 1923, and in 1947 married André Philippe, an engineer. For a long time, she lived in Italy with her husband and their two children. She was employed as a secretary. Later she and her husband returned to live in Beauraing. She died on February 10, 2015.


Our Lady of Beauraing, Immaculate Virgin, ever victorious in all thy battles for the kingdom of God, we beseech thee, convert sinners, as thou hast promised.

Exercise in their behalf the power of thy Immaculate Heart! Bring back to the love of God all souls who, deprived of sanctifying grace, stand in danger of eternal perdition.


O Heavenly Mother, cast thine eyes of mercy on thy poor children, and be our Help in all tribulations!


Be thou the Health of the sick and Comforter of the afflicted.

Queen of Heaven, crowned with eternal glory, our love and our gratitude proclaim thee also Queen of our hearts and Sovereign of the world.


We shall work for the extension of thy kingdom in ourselves, by sacrifice and imitation of thy virtues; and around us by frequent prayers and good works.


Mayest thou reign over the whole world and spread everywhere the kingdom of thy Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.


Our Father... Hail Mary... Glory be to the Father... Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us. Our Lady of Beauraing, convert sinners. Queen of the Golden Heart, help the sick.


The Feast day for Our Lady of Beauraing is August 22, which had previously been the feast day of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. In 1954, Pope Pius XII established the Feast of the Queenship of Mary to be celebrated on this same day throughout the world. The Pope wrote: "The purpose of the Feast is that all may recognize more clearly and venerate more devoutly the merciful and motherly sovereignty of her who bore God in her womb."

bottom of page